The Gift of Education
I did not know the gift of education until my own child was not allowed to study with his peers in a public school, and that's when I realized the best gift to a child is the gift of education. I
started this site to share why I believe every child is gifted and
therefore his abilities should be respected and catered to. I'll also share my
experiences with my five children, and together, we can
all gift to our children student-tailored educations which maximize their
Even though it was painful when I was left to find solutions myself when some of my kids who were diagnosed with disabilities were not allowed
into public school classrooms, I did not wallow. Instead, I seek to
understand my kids' natural abilities, learning styles and then planned a
suitable education for each of them. As a result, four out of five of
my children qualified for respectable universities by
While on this journey, I learned about existing and unconventional methods of
achieving good educations for my children. Post by post, I will tell you
how this can be done, as well as where I found help and resources. What appears on this
site will comprise about half of what will be published in the book
scheduled for the first quarter of 2014.
Nobody is a guru, and I have never believed anyone has the ultimate
knowledge in anything. I may know a little more because I spent years
researching and have personally walked the paths four and
half times with my own kids and another thousands of times with my
students. Yet, I believe others have much to contribute as well!
this site, I also hope to get your views and feedback on how to do this
better. If you send
me something by end of 2013, You, an educator, a parent or a student will be my
co-author and my advisor on how to put these resources into a useful
book. Everyone whose contributions are published will get a copy of the
book free-of-charge. This should be the first book in the world authored together with
a world community.
At the end of this exercise, we hope to discover methods to design
individualized education plans using modern and classic resources for
each child. 200 pages
and thousands of hours of hard work later, we should be another
step closer to gifting our children with the best education that suit
I hope readers will:
- Gain an understanding of who should be responsible in educating the children in the education systems
- Discover new ways to engage learners in schools and at home
- Know where to find resources that are available besides those offered traditionally by schools
- Find suitable pedagogies that work and suit the educators and learners
- Know how to work with and not against the school and current education system to bring out the best in each child
- Know when and how to engage external help e.g. tutors and coaches to complement teaching
- Find ways to match what we have learned to the gifts and learning capability of each child
Hope to hear from you soon, and we will be the first people to write a book with a community.
- The Gift of Education
- The blog from all-gifted.com, for news on the gift of education, accelerated learning and online learning resources.
- All Gifted High School
- Self-paced, regionally accredited High School
- The Gift of Education Seminar
- The Gift of Education Seminars - please indicate your interests to facilitate our planning
- All Gifted School
- Link to All Gifted School
- Einstein-Giftedness is in everyone. Yet even now, only one kind of intelligence is being recognized widely. My views ...
- Visual Spatial Learners
- Visual spatial learners won't show workings, and have upside down intelligence. They learn differently from students who are organized and listen well.
- Interpersonal Intelligence
- A boy with great interpersonal intelligence who gave my son hope, friends and changed him for the better.
- Social Prodigy
- There are many kinds of intelligence, and they all play a part in our success. People who are socially adept are geniuses in their own rights.
- Kinesthetic Giftedness
- People gifted with kinesthetic intelligence are able to manipulate their bodies and are geniuses in movements and timing. They need to move, cannot sit still, and are often mislabeled with ADHD.
- Parents matter in education
- Often, parents work even harder than educators in an education system. One example is Singapore...
- After School Tuition
- After school tuition can be a great way to help the child's academic work, but too much of it can weaken some non-cognitive skills.
- Great Educators Matter
- Often, good educators are under-appreciated in our society, they are seldom the ones to be promoted, their voices are seldom heard, and they are made to do things more aggressive educators won't.
- Parenting Adolescent
- Parenting adolescents are challenging and often heart breaking. One thing I have learnt is never treating them as just friends, but make sure they know we are responsible parents.
- Asian Or Western Education
- Asian or western education have their own merits, and there are misconceptions that lead us to think otherwise...
- Choosing Schools
- Choosing schools or universities has never been easy. How do we know our children can thrive in a school of choice?
- HomeSchool or School
- The decision to homeschool or school a child can be daunting. How about a combination? So what are some of the advantages of both?
- Homeschool Curriculum
- Homeschool Curriculum by All-gifted
- Homeschooling for the Schooled
- When my son could not read or add by seven, I deliberately slowed him down and homeschool him even though he is attending to school...
- Autistic and Gifted
- All children are gifted and that applies to those with autism, and therefore parents should know what these gifts are...
- Overcoming Dyslexia
- I will never need to know if I am dyslexic, because I have never given it a chance. The little story of how you too can refuse to let it surface.
- Executive Function and Disorders
- When my child frequently forgets his assignments and exams, I was told he has executive function problems, so what is this Executive Dysfunction?
- Universities are PG rated
- Do you know that universities cannot take in early entrants below 15 because they are not equipped to do so. Hence, parents have to chip in.
- Key to Acceleration
- How to you accelerate a child in his education pursuits? Are you just pursuing what others tell you to, or looking within your child to know the answers?
- Brighten the corner where you are
- Brighten the corner where you are
The Gift of Education
*This and other articles on this
site are excerpts from the book "The Gift of Education" by Pamela
Lim to be published March 2014.
Important: If there are any specific topics or areas you would like addressed, please leave a comment below or a message here and they will either be answered directly or covered in the book.
> About Us